Redmond Centennial Pin
Collectible Centennial pins are now available for purchase.
Each design is stamped into brass and the recessed areas are filled with enamel, which is then fired at a very high temperature. This produces a jewelry quality pin with a high level of detail and color. Each pin is highly polished to a brilliant luster and smoothness.
$3 a piece
visit the Old Redmond Schoolhouse Community Center (Front Information Desk),
City Hall - 2nd floor.
For large quantities (>25) email firstname.lastname@example.org
Commemorative Redmond Railroad Spike
Own a piece of Redmond’s railroad history. This commemorative shadow box contains an actual railroad spike from the BNSF Redmond corridor.
It’s hard to imagine today, but early Redmond was shaped by the railroad. In 1889, the Seattle Lake Shore & eastern Railway built a station in the center of town. That was the same year as the Great Seattle Fire, which sparked Redmond’s first economic boom by providing even more demand for wood from Redmond’s already prosperous logging and milling industry. With regular passenger service, Redmond’s hotels and eateries flourished. Twice each day, the train passed through Redmond, bringing school children into town in the morning, delivering mail to the post office, picking up milk in large metal cans, and taking businessmen and shoppers to Seattle.
The depot was located just east of Leary Way, and north of the Hotel Redmond aka The Justice White House. Its location played a pivotal part in naming Redmond. Shortly after he and Luke McRedmond staked the area’s first land claims, Warren Perrigo built Melrose House, an inn that was the predominant local landmark. Soon, travelers and residents were calling the settlement Melrose, instead of Salmonberg, and in 1881 the name was officially recognized when Adam Tosh was appointed the first Postmaster of Melrose. The next year Luke McRedmond was appointed Postmaster and successfully petitioned to change the postal name to Redmond, although the change wasn’t widely accepted until he donated a portion of his homestead for a railway depot site.
After 8 decades of service, the Redmond depot was closed in 1970, and the building was demolished in 1972, after attempts by concerned citizens to preserve it failed. Freight cars used the line through the end of the 1900’s but last runs ended in the early 2000’s.
To purchase visit the Old Redmond Schoolhouse Community Center (Front Information Desk). To view items or to purchase large quantities (>3) email email@example.com.